23 August, 2008

eastern glow

Street music playing outside, as promised. I made myself a very delicious hamburger for lunch - cooked medium, with whole mustard and cesar dressing, a little leftover grated white cheddar cheese, and spices aplenty; all on a couple of heels of bread.

The foray to the library was a success, although the pregnant woman behind the counter had a huge tuft of unruly hair sticking up in the midst of her pinned-back curly mass. I wanted to lick my hand and mush it down for her, but I refrained. She was nice enough to let me sign up for a library card even though the item of mail I brought to prove my residency didn't have a clear postmark. It was the least I could do.
Books I absconded with!

Movies!

I didn't realize until after I was halfway home (lugging an armful of large and heavy books down Main Street on a Saturday afternoon is not recommended, by the way) that both the films I picked up feature wind in the title, and on reflection, there's no connection. At least, I don't think there is. Give me a day or two, and I'll be able to tell you. But it did get me thinking... every book/film I picked up today is it's own kind of story, and many of them are from different genres entirely... but are they really? What themes do they all share? Just thinking on it, at least three of the books I took out are set in London (Quicksilver, Professor's Daughter, King Rat). And barring any sort of plot similarities or narrative mirroring, I'm sure some of them at least have style in common. Or phrases, unique words.
Huh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mighty Wind is amazing. Very sad, but amazing. I loved the music and Eugene Levy is hilarious. I have the soundtrack if you want a copy.

Anonymous said...

um hi remember how you are a business man now? details. kthx.

TheOneUpstairs said...

Can we haz movie tonight plz?

Anonymous said...

BORED.

update again.

Anonymous said...

oh good you've moved on from creepy asian book.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to just keep grumbling on this until something new shows up.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble.